It’s holiday season and that means lots of delicious food and drinks and smiles to be shared. This year, keep your smile beautiful by paying attention to what you are eating and how you are taking care of your teeth. It can be easy to forget hygiene routines with busy schedules and sugary treats, but this will take a toll on your teeth over time. Take a look at these easy tips to keep your smile beautiful not just during the holidays, but all year long!
- Remember to use a straw – Using a straw helps keep the harmful acid in your food away from your teeth. Especially with treats that have a lot of sugar or alcohol, you really want to make sure you are using one. Straws also help your teeth from being stained by pigmented liquids such as red wine.
- Chew sugar free gum– It impossible to stay away from all sugar this season but chewing sugar free gum is a great way to protect your teeth! Better yet, chew gum with xylitol which helps reduce tooth decay. Chewing gum stimulates your mouth to produce more saliva which neutralizes the acid on your teeth from food. Another bonus, the person with pack of gum at the party is always the most popular!
- Eat healthy “teeth food”– Treat your teeth and the rest your body with some healthy foods, even if you’re indulging with sweets. Fresh fruits and vegetables not only boost your immune system, but the minerals and vitamins help protect your teeth. As you are sipping on your wine, snacking on a bit of cheese can also neutralize the acid and help prevent tooth decay.
- Give the gift of a toothbrush– No one likes buying toothbrushes for themselves. They are super easy to wrap and make great stocking stuffers. They can also be used to give someone a subtle hint about their bad breath!
- Don’t use your teeth as a tool– Speaking of gifts, don’t use your beautiful smile as a present opener! It is also not a bottle opener, nut-cracker or ribbon-cutter. Using your teeth for these tasks can weaken your enamel causing cracks and weakening the edges of your teeth. This makes your teeth a lot more susceptible to decay and an increased chance of breaking.
- Continue your daily hygiene routine– As always, don’t forget to brush your teeth at least 2 times a day and clean between your teeth. This is extremely important throughout the holiday season as you snack and eat throughout the day, your teeth are always covered in possibly harmful acid from the food.
- Schedule your post-holiday cleaning– Even if you are diligent about brushing and eating the right foods throughout the holidays, getting your teeth professionally cleaned and examined is still important. If you missed your regular cleaning due to busy schedules or you are due for your bi-annual cleaning, don’t hesitate to give us a call. Start the new year off strong with a clean set of pearly whites!
We hope you had a Merry Christmas and enjoy all of your holiday fun. Just don’t forget to give yourself a little gift by taking care of your teeth so you don’t have to pay for it later. If you have any questions or need to schedule your New Year appointment, give us a call at 509-962-2755 and we would be more than happy to help you out. Happy Holidays from Mountain View Dental!